Pesto Goat Cheese Pizza
I saw Meredith’s Pesto & Goat Cheese Pizza and I KNEW I had to make it ASAP. I even had homemade pesto in my freezer just waiting for such an occasion!
I called my husband and had him bring home the ingredients and made it that very night. It just so happened to be our first 80-degree day, and we enjoyed our dinner outside on the deck. Turns out, it’s the perfect summer pizza.
My kids like goat cheese, but I wasn’t sure how it would go over with the pesto and tomatoes and no sauce, but they all loved it and begged me to make it every week. I just might do that!
My son is allergic to nuts, so I always make my own pesto. I also eat gluten-free, so I have a particular pizza shell that I like. It’s by Against The Grain, and it’s soooo good. Even my family likes it, and they don’t have to eat gluten-free.
Here’s my version of the recipe along with instructions on making homemade pesto.
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1-1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- juice from 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 pizza shells (for gluten free, try Against the Grain - so good!)
- ½ cup pesto (see recipe above, or your favorite store brand)
- 2 fresh, ripe tomatoes
- 4 oz goat cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make the pesto by combining all the ingredients in your food processor and pureeing until smooth.
- Preheat the oven according to your pizza shell directions.
- Lay out your pizza shells on your favorite stone or pizza pan.
- Spread pesto evenly over both shells.
- Place tomatoes on top of pesto in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown on top.
- Cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm or at room temp.