For special occasions and holiday dinners, my mom used to make a delicious strawberry pretzel jello salad that we all loved. The combination of the salty pretzels, the sweet strawberries, and the tangy sour cream was absolutely divine.
I don’t really do jello these days, and I had pretty much forgotten all about that dish until I saw a recipe for strawberry pretzel parfaits a blog called Dessert for Two. The layers of salty pretzels, sweet strawberries and tangy sweetened sour cream were beckoning me! I knew I was going to have to give it a try.
So last weekend I picked up a bag of my favorite gluten-free pretzels by Glutino along with a couple quarts of strawberries and a pint of sour cream, and I set out to try my hand at strawberry pretzel parfaits! I increased the recipe to serve our family of five.
How to Make Strawberry Pretzel Parfaits
Strawberry Pretzel Parfaits are easy to make, and they’re perfect for a light summer dessert or afternoon snack. Just hull and slice your berries and sprinkle them with sugar. Allow the sugar to soak in while you prepare the other recipe components.
Pulse the pretzels in a food processor with some melted butter and cinnamon. (If you don’t have a food processor, just put the pretzels in a ziplock bag and pound away! That’s a great task for kids.)
Then sweeten a pint of sour cream with brown sugar. Now you’re ready to assemble!
In your favorite parfait glasses (you can also use wine glasses), layer the sour cream, then the pretzels, then the strawberries. Repeat and top with a dollop of sour cream. Garnish with a pretzel and a strawberry slice, and you have a lovely summer dessert!
You will want to serve these immediately so the pretzels don’t get soggy — not that I was able to wait to dig in!
- 1 quart strawberries, sliced into quarters
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups pretzel twists
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 pint sour cream
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Rinse and drain the strawberry slices and sprinkle with sugar; allow them to sit and soak in the sugar while you're preparing the rest.
- Pulse the pretzels in a food processor until they are in small chunks.
- Add the melted butter and cinnamon to the pretzels and pulse a few more times to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine sour cream and brown sugar.
- In a parfait glass or wine glass, layer the sour cream, the strawberries, and the pretzels; repeat.
- Finish up with another dollop of sour cream on top.
- Garnish with a pretzel and a strawberry slice and a sprig of mint.