Now, I ask you. Can you imagine a better combination than eggs, grits, cheese and BACON? I cannot.
Over the weekend I got a hankering for Shrimp & Grits so I made some on Saturday night. Now, these aren’t just any grits. These grits are loaded with bacon and cheddar cheese. They are OUT of this WORLD.
I always manage to have leftover grits. This is NOT a mistake; I make very sure that there will be leftovers. Because.
That, my friends, is perfection on a plate.
Don’t you want some right. this. second!?
I have had this breakfast two mornings in a row, and I am delighted to tell you that I have at least another serving of grits in the fridge. If I don’t share, maybe two.
Would you share? Yeah, me either.
Wanna know how to make it? SO SO easy.
Here’s a printable recipe for your convenience.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup yellow stone ground grits
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs + butter for frying
- salt & pepper to taste
- sliced green onions for garnish, if desired
- Sauté the diced bacon in a stockpot over medium heat till crispy; remove to a paper towel to drain.
- Add the onions to the pot and sauté in the remaining bacon grease till they are soft; add the garlic for the last minute. (Garlic burns quickly so I always add it at the end.)
- Add the grits to the pot; mix to combine.
- Add the milk, broth and butter; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook till thickened to your desired consistency.
- Taste the grits, adjust the liquid and add salt to taste.
- Off the heat, stir in the shredded cheddar and bacon.
- Meanwhile, fry your eggs in butter. I prefer over easy. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Serve a fried egg on a bed of grits. Garnish with sliced green onions.