I made this avocado bean salad for our Labor Day cookout and it was an incredible hit. The flavors of fresh corn, bell peppers, tomatoes, lemon juice and cilantro totally create a party in your mouth. And it’s beautiful to boot!! Everyone loved it . . . well, all the adults, anyway.
You want to use the freshest veggies you can for this dish, but you can make it a few hours ahead. Just hold the avocado and add that just before you want to serve it. Otherwise it may get brown, although with the lemon juice, mine usually stays looking pretty good. I even served leftovers the next day with dinner. Unfortunately avocado upsets my stomach, so I have to take my own portion out before I add that, but it’s such a great source of healthy fats, I highly recommend using it if you can. I also held out the tomatoes until the end because refrigerating tomatoes causes them to lose their flavor. But it might not matter in a dish like this.
I was inspired by this recipe, but I altered mine just a bit. For one thing, I didn’t cook the corn. Everything I read says that is perfectly okay. I just sliced it off the cob and threw it directly into the bowl. Then I used green peppers instead of red and added tomatoes for color and additional flavor. Finally, I used plain yellow onions rather than shallots because that’s all I had. I think I’d use red onions next time. I love the flavor of raw onion, but if that’s too strong for you, go with the shallots. I also omitted the sugar and no one seemed to miss it.
Here’s my version of the recipe:
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 ears fresh corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup small-diced red onion (or shallot)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup diced tomatoes (I like grape tomatoes, but roma work too)
- 2 Hass avocados, diced
- Place all ingredients except for tomatoes and avocados in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. At this point, you can cover and refrigerate for several hours or even overnight.
- Before serving, add the avocados and tomatoes and mix gently.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.