Caprese Salad Stacks with Balsamic Reduction
Hi, Its’s Colleen here with one of my favorite things to eat… To-ma-toes!
I have quite the obsession with tomatoes. As far back as I can remember I have adored them. My dad grew a huge garden while we were growing up. If you didn’t find me sitting high in the cherry tree eating my weight in sour cherries or contemplating life in general, I was probably in the garden, sitting criss-cross-applesauce, happily munching on sun-kissed tomatoes. As a kid I was SUCH a picky eater (sorry, Mom.) I did whatever I could to not eat meat; all I needed was a tomato and Miracle Whip Sammie, and I was good to go!
One of the best videos in my father’s collection has to be the one of one of my brother Eddie happily devouring a big juicy tomato. His tiny little chubby face was smooshing itself into that tomato like it was his first food when all of a sudden it went plop, plop, plop down the concrete steps and rolled smack-dab into the middle of a colony of ants. He scooted his 18-month-old butt down the steps and reached out a chubby little hand to reclaim his prize, then promptly began munching on it again… Never noticing the the difference or the hitchhikers! I tell my dad all the time that THAT was borderline abuse and THAT is also why Eddie probably detests tomatoes to this day! Only a man would happily film something like that!
When I was pregnant with my son, I ate icy-cold roasted grape tomatoes almost every day…those and Tastykakes (let’s NOT talk about how Tastykake stock literally plummeted after I delivered…really!)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBS grapeseed or olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 4-5 large fresh basil leaves
- 3½-inch thick slices of mozzarella cheese
- Balsamic reduction (or glaze) Homemade or store-bought
- In a small mason jar or bowl, combine your garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Give it a good swirl or shake to get it combined. Set aside (You can make this an hour ahead).
- Slice your tomato. Season your tomato slices and mozzarella slices just a bit with salt and pepper
- Assemble your stack (tomato, mozzarella, basil leaves, repeat. Top with a tomato slice) Chop the third mozzarella slice up into cubes and scatter over the top slice of tomato. Drizzle with the balsamic glaze, then drizzle with the garlic oil.
Eating them THIS way was, is and forever will be my absolute favorite way to enjoy a tomato…oh dear Lord how I love this and can eat it every-single-day! And please, do not leave out the garlic oil or the balsamic glaze…they are what put this salad over-the-top!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy a tomato? You know I’d love to find more favorites!