I’m always looking to change up my running music to keep me interested and motivated. Music is my #1 motivator when I’m running. If I don’t have someone to talk to, I am guaranteed to have my earbuds in.
After training and running a half marathon, I was getting tired of the same old tunes. The music industry can’t keep up with me when I’m running that many miles! So one day a few weeks ago, I turned on my Christian playlist for a change and set out for a jog. It was amazing! Not only was the music inspiring to run to, but the words were meaningful as well — unlike much of my regular running playlist, some of which I’m almost embarrassed to admit listening to. I’ve run to my Christian playlist a few times now and it’s so much fun. I actually get to worship as I run.
I don’t have a huge collection of Christian music, but lately I’ve been listening to The Message on XM Radio (I get a free trial with my new car!!) and I’ve found some new tunes to add to my Christian music playlist. And a few of the songs I enjoy running to hearken back to the 80s, when I listened to a lot of “contemporary” Christian music.
I thought I’d share my Christian Music Playlist in case some of you are interested, and I’d love to get more suggestions from you so I can add to my collection.
12 Contemporary Christian Tunes for Running
- You Are, Colton Dixon (American Idol fans, rejoice!)
- In Christ Alone, Newsboys
- How Great Is Our God, Chris Tomlin
- He Reigns, Newsboys
- Come Ye Sinners, Matthew Smith
- Was It A Morning Like This, Sandi Patty
- You Lifted Me Out, Chris Tomlin
- All I Owe, Matthew Smith
- Easter Song, Keith Green (this one is so 80s, but so great!)
- Jesus Friend of Sinners, Casting Crowns (I love it when they put modern music to old hymns.)
- Whom Shall I Fear, Chris Tomlin (this one, especially, has been ministering to me lately, with some of the medical issues we’ve been having)
- I Can Only Imagine, Mercy Me