It’s CSA season and once again, my fridge is overflowing with leafy greens! I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the CSA. I love how it has broadened our culinary horizons, and it’s a great feeling to come home from our pick-up with a carload full of fresh veggies, grown locally and without chemicals or sprays.
But then you have to wash it all. And cook it all. And figure out what to do with it and keep track of what you have and use it up before it rots. It’s work. And if you aren’t diligent, there is waste.
The popular jokes among CSA peeps are about the copious amounts of kale you receive. This leafy green is one of the healthiest veggies out there (and evidently it is easy to grow, considering how much of it is available during its growing season.)
What’s So Great About Kale?
At just 36 calories per serving, kale provides more than 100 percent of the daily value of vitamins A, C, and K, and it’s also a good source of fiber. On top of that, it contains minerals such as potassium, calcium, and iron. Suffice it to say, kale is one of the great super foods and helps lower cholesterol and prevent cancer. YAY for kale.
But kale has a rather stiff texture and a bitter taste that is not easy to hide so I have been scouring the internet for recipe ideas that my kids will eat.
A popular use for kale is Kale Chips, and they are quite delicious, but beyond that, it’s a bit of a challenge to use up the kale we get from our CSA, so I decided to post a roundup of a bunch of recipes to have on hand this summer so that my kale doesn’t rot in the back of the fridge. I have not tried all of these so I can’t vouch for them all personally, but they look good and are worth a try.
10 Delicious Kale Recipes
1. Kale Chips | Musings of a Housewife
I’ll start with the obvious one. These taste better than they sound. If you haven’t tried them, you should!
2. Puerto Rican Beef with Kale | Everyday Paleo
I made this a few nights ago with some modifications based on what we had in the house. It was pretty good! I will definitely make it again.
3. Baby Kale & Peanut Butter Shamrock Smoothie Recipe | Savoring the Thyme
4. Kale Salad with Cranberries and Almonds | Jo-Lynne Shane
5. Sausage & White Bean Soup with Kale | Jo-Lynne Shane via Divine Health from the Inside Out
6. Sauteed Kale with Bacon | Souffle Bombay
7. Kale & Broccoli Slaw Rice Bowl with a Spicy Thai Peanut Sauce | Nutritionist in the Kitch
8. Kale and Avocado Salad | Womb to World Wellness
9. Roasted Butternut, Portabella and Barley Pilaf | An Opera Singer in the Kitchen
10. Sausage, Potato, and Kale Soup | Pioneer Woman
For more yummy eats, see all of my recipes!